Your tech digest, by way of the DGiT Daily newsletter, for Wednesday, October 9.
1. The thin, weird Essential phone
We’ve heard Essential has been working on a new device. We had indications it was unusual. We saw specs leaks that suggested a new concept. But this is really something:
The Essential very tall, very thin Android smartphone:
- Essential’s new phone is being called “Project Gem,” and the company has filed a trademark for the word GEM, so that looks like the actual product name as well.
- But who cares about the name, because just look at it!
- It’s so tall, so thin, and so unusual. It’s like a candy bar, or a remote, or something.
- Why? Who knows!
- We have been seeing increasingly tall, long, and rectangular smartphones, with Sony taking this as far as anyone in recent times to mixed reviews.
- The reason for that, though, was to offer video in the widescreen 21:9 format, but reviews found that while the narrow body was nice and easy to hold in your hand, it wasn’t easy to use, being too tall to navigate with a thumb. But Sony still tried to make it a smartphone, not something different.
- This GEM then is just deliberately …read more
Source:: android authority